Brief History of Curwensville
Curwensville was founded by John Curwen in 1799 and in 1851 became the
second Borough in Clearfield County by an act of the Pennsylvania
Legislature. This same year, Samuel Fleming became the first
assessor of the Borough and recorded its population at 372.
The entire assessment of Curwensville was $15,295 in 1851.
Once the Borough was established and local government formed, many
improvements were made to this country village, including sidewalks
being laid on Filbert, Thompson, and Pine Streets in May of 1855, the
first bridge constructed in the borough in 1870, and in 1890 the first
water system was established.
Curwensville expanded financially as a result of the lumber trade along
the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. The leather trade
has been and continues to be a large industry in Curwensville, and many
other industries, such as cheese processing, ice cream making, and
brick making, have been very successful.
In 1812, the first school opened. Several schools were
created in Curwensville, including the Patton Building in 1855, Locust
Street School in 1908, and the South Side School in 1915. In
1953, ground was broken for the Curwensville Area High School and
elementary classrooms were added in 1961 and 1972. The Patton
Building closed in 1960, the South Side School in 1961, and Locust
Street School in 1972.