Oak Hill Cemetary
Also known as the Curwensville Cemetery
P.O. Box 232
N. Thompson Street
Curwensville, PA 16833
History of Oak Hill Cemetery
Oak Hill Cemetery began as a small 2¼ acre plot in December 1856 when William Irvin conveyed a parcel of land to the Curwensville Borough for burials. Three additional parcels were conveyed by Mr. Irvin’s son Col. E.A. Irvin, and the remainder of the property came from Charles E. Patton and the heirs of Hon. John Patton. The borough conveyed it’s interest to the Cemetery Association in 1894. The cemetery now spans about 65 acres on a grassy hilltop above the town (north on Thompson Street) and is maintained by the Oak Hill Cemetery Association, a nonprofit organization with a sizable board of local volunteer citizens.
The Irvin and Patton families, both of which played key roles in the early growth and development of Curwensville are interred here. Before his death in 1908, Col. E.A. Irvin had become the last surviving field officer of the famous Civil War Bucktail regiment. Several other ranking officers are also at Oak Hill including Irvin’s cousin Col. John Irvin, Brigadier General W. Ross Hartshorne, and Captains J. Elliott Kratzer, John Norris and John P. Bard. Captain John Patton Bard was the owner of the Curwensville Herald and his newspaper history of the “Old Bucktails” contributed greatly to the popular regimental history published by Thomson & Rauch in 1906.
Some other Civil War veterans from Maine and Ohio regiments are here along with a Lt. A.B. Cole who is said to be the last Bucktail to die in the Civil War on the battlefield of Hatcher’s Run. Also, numerous notable figures and families from the town’s earlier days are here. In fact, Roland Swope Jr., author of the ”Twentieth Century History of Clearfield County” rests in the Swope family plot, which is marked by one of the tallest monuments on the grounds. The Patton family plot holds the other tallest monument.
Every burial plot is numbered and a permanent record is maintained to guard against loss, assuring perpetual identification of all persons interred in the cemetery. One of the greatest benefits derived through this local and volunteer management of Oak Hill is the perpetual care of all lots provided for in the deed of purchase.
The heated chapel and open gazebo are available for funerals, free of charge, and the grounds are a beautiful place to visit and reflect on the lives of loved ones lost. A variety of headstones and monuments of different designs and proportions can be found throughout the scenic grounds. Some tell a story while others have been obliterated by the elements from well over a century of wear and tear.
In order to keep the Cemetery clean & well kept, the chapel, lawn & shrubs maintained and roads paved, a permanent Memorial Fund was established many years ago and the Association accepts donations throughout the year. Memorial cards for donations are available at the Cemetery Chapel, from area Funeral Homes and members of the Cemetery Association. Actually, most of the donations are received during a 4-day annual open house during every Memorial Day weekend. During this open house, refreshments are available at the Oak Hill Chapel and volunteers are available to help visitors locate specific lots, answer questions and to provide information to those who may wish to consider purchasing individual and family lots at sometime in the future.
Burial Site Information
For information on Burial Sites:
Call Wilbur Neeper, Manager/Groundskeeper
Phone (814) 236-3933
Cell (814) 592-4822
Current Plot Prices
Need more information… Email us at: email@example.com
If you would like to make a donation…
Make check payable to: Curwensville Cemetery Association
Include a name or family “in memory of” or “in honor of”
Mail check to:
P.O. Box 232
Curwensville, PA 16833